Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, The Dianne and Michael Bienes Special Collections and Rare Book Library is pleased to present the sixteenth annual Florida Artists’ Book Prize exhibition.
The criteria for entering the competition are:
- The entry must be original work completed or published in the calendar year 2012.
- The entry must be created or published in an edition (i.e., more than one copy).
- The entry cannot be a trade edition (i.e., produced commercially by a publishing house for sale in the United States or internationally).
- The artist's primary residence must be the State of Florida.
- DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: Book entries must be received in the Bienes Museum by January 13, 2013. All entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- While all artists are encouraged to participate, the prior year’s winning artist is ineligible to be selected as the winner.
The prize-winning Artists’ Book becomes the property of the Bienes Museum.
Selected entries will be on exhibition at the Bienes Museum until June 17, 2013. Participating artists will be notified if their entry was selected for exhibition or not.
- Artists or their representatives are responsible for picking up the entries:
- All artists’ books selected for inclusion in the exhibition should be picked up at the end of the exhibition from June 24 through August 1, 2013.
- Books not selected for exhibition can be picked up by April 16, 2013.
- All entries not picked up by August 1, 2013 will be returned to the address listed in the entry form, via U.S. Mail, uninsured.
The artist gives Broward County permission to reproduce images of the book in any format for publicity and educational purposes.
The Florida Artists’ Book Prize was jointly established in 1997 by Broward County Libraries Division’s Bienes Museum of the Modern Book and the Florida Center for the Book. For this year’s competition, the following panel of distinguished individuals served as jurors:
John Cutrone, Director, Jaffe Center for Book Arts (Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL); Cristina Favretto, Head of Special Collections, University of Miami (Coral Gables, Florida); Jean Trebbi, retired director of the Florida Center for the Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Krystyna Wasserman, Curator of Book Arts, National Museum of Women in the Arts (Washington, D.C). Serving as facilitators were Debbie Llenza, Bienes Museum of the Modern Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Lillian Perricone, Bienes Museum of the Modern Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL).
This year’s prize of $2,000 was awarded to Allison Leialoha Milham for her book: Uluhaimalama: legacies of Lili'uokalani : music and mana'o of Hawai'i's last queen. Twenty artists’ books were entered in the competition by sixteen different Florida artists. All of the books selected for the exhibition are shown here in their entirety.
Bienes Museum of the Modern Book
Broward County Main Library, 6th Floor
100 S. Andrews Ave., Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
The Broward County Libraries Division maintains special collections including but not limited to, documents, photographs, artifacts, artwork and rare books. Materials in these collections may be protected by the U. S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U. S. C.). The reproduction or downloading materials may be restricted by terms of purchase agreements, donor restrictions, privacy & publicity rights, licensing and trademarks.
Usage, transmission, downloading, or reproduction of protected items beyond that allowed by Fair Use Copyright Law requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult or even impossible to determine. When possible, the Division provides information about copyright owners and restrictions concerning its collections.
DETERMINING THE EXISTENCE OF COPYRIGHT OR ANY OTHER LEGAL RESTRICTIONS, AS WELL AS OBTAINING PERMISSION FROM THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER, IS SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE USER/PATRON.